- Subject: Medical Science, Medical Science
- Type: suture practice kit
- Model Number: VS-01
- Material: Silicon
- Properties: Suture
- Application: childbirth vulva suture practice
- Usage: Practice Model
- Function: suture training
- Size: 18*14*4.5 cm
- Product name: Perineal incision suture
Episiotomy and perineal tears
Sometimes a doctor or midwife may need to make a cut in the area between the vagina and anus (perineum) during childbirth. This is called an episiotomy. An episiotomy makes the opening of the vagina a bit wider, allowing the baby to come through it more easily. Sometimes a woman’s perineum may tear as their baby comes out. In some births, an episiotomy can help to prevent a severe tear or speed up delivery if the baby needs to be born quickly.
Your health care provider will discuss different techniques for improving your comfort as you heal.
There are two types of episiotomy incisions:
- Midline incision. A midline incision is done vertically. A midline incision is easier to repair. But it has a higher risk of extending into the anal area.
- Mediolateral incision. A mediolateral incision is done at an angle. A mediolateral incision is less likely to result in an extended tear into the anal area. However, this incision is often more painful and more difficult to repair.
Avoiding severe perineal tears
Perineal massage with a natural oil (such as coconut or almond) from 35 weeks pregnant until birth, can help to prepare and loosen the skin around the perineum before birth. this increases the elasticity of the skin and reduces the risk of potential damaged and tear. Visit rcog.org.uk/tears for more information on how to do this.
Using a Warm Compress
A warm compress can also help to prevent perineal tear and damage during stage 2 labour. The Niche Instant Warm Perineal Compress Warmer (direct-to-skin) quickly delivers soothing warmth that encourages tissue relaxation and increased blood circulation in the perineal area prior to childbirth, providing maximum patient comfort with minimal nursing intervention.
Customers also liked: